World Hypertension Day - 17th May,2010
Every year World Hypertension Day is oberved on 17th May to raise awareness among people about hypertension and its effects. The theme for todays World Hypertension Day (WHD) is ``Healthy Weight - Healthy Blood Pressure''.
Hypertension or High Blood Pressure is a Global Epidemic and it affects around 1.5 billion people world-wide ,i.e, about 1 in 4 men & women suffer from it. Every year 7 million die because of high blood pressure. It is the biggest risk factor for heart disease, stroke, kidney disease & diabetes. Hypertension often has no symptoms & therefore termed as 'Silent Killer'.
The main cause of hypertension today is over-weight & obesity, thats why the theme `Healthy Weight - Healthy Blood Pressure' . Globally over 1 Billion adults are overweight, with at least 300 million of them obese.
What are the limits?
The recommended blood pressures are less than 140/90 mmHg for the general population and for the hypertensive population without any other complications, and less than 130/80 mmHg for those with diabetes mellitus or chronic kidney disease.
So how to tackle this problem?
- Modern medicines can control high blood pressure effectively and slow or prevent the development of complications. So, take your medicines regularly. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will have to take them life long.
- Take balanced diet, with abundant fruits & vegetables. Avoid as much fast food as you can as they are high in saturated fats, salt & sugar.
- Get yourself involved in a physical activity like walking, running, biking, swimming for at least 30-60 mins on most days of the week.
- Avoid salt as much as possible, as it is the major cause of hypertension in about 3 of 10 adults.
- Control your wieght. For details, go through my this article ' How to get Slim & Healthy'.
- Monitor your Blood Pressure often, even if you don't suffer from Hypertension.