First Aid For Bee & Wasp Stings
As summers have arrived wasps, sting bees, hornets have also appeared. But they showed their real presence to me by biting at my ankle this evening. I was thinking to write about them but this bite has urged me to do it immediately.
What are the Symptoms?
- Local Pain, Redness, Swelling & Mild Itching are the common symptoms.
- The Alarming ones include Generalized Body Swelling, Fainting, Difficulty in Breathing, Severe Itching & if bitten more than 10 times. If you suffer from any of them or have suffered in the past, then you should urgently seek medical attention.
What is the First Aid / Home Treatment?
- First get yourself away from the bees.
- If there is any part of the bee left on your skin, remove it.
- Wash the area with soap & get it cleaned.
- Apply Calamine lotion, which is an easily available over the counter medicine and very effective for bites, heat rash, burns & itching.
- Cold compresses with ice packs also provide a very soothing effect.
- Pain killer such ibuprofen or acetaminophen are an effective solution for reducing pain & swelling.